Author Topic: Don't be an aku bird! A basic guide to fishing etiquette in Hawaii.  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Waimeakauai

Aloha everyone. A teacher by trade, I just couldn't resist writing up a post like this. The sport is growing, and I know a lot of people are coming here looking for knowledge on the fish but, let's not forget about a very important part of fishing. ETIQUETTE. You will find tips on this subject throughout the forums, but I figure why not make a thread to make it easy for the new comers.

Yup you are right, no one owns the ocean. Most ocean activities have etiquette. Don't believe me? I dare you to go surfing and drop in on one of the bruddahs at Bowls or Pipe. With that being said if you don't wanted to be the most hated man on the water....here are some things to know.

1. First come first serve. If someone is on a mark, I guess you should probably wake up earlier next time. They may be doing a particular technique. Go somewhere else, or wait nearby until they leave. Sometimes you snooze you lose.

2. Give other kayakers space. Boats are required to give us 75 yards. We should respect our fellow yakers and do the same. Can you ask someone to approach? Sure. Sometimes people care, sometimes they don't. You never know if they are doing commercial or tournament fishing. It can be a big deal.

3. Following someone. Let's be real here. No one likes being followed. Obviously we are in public areas, but if you want to upset someone then this is one of the fastest ways. Spend enough time on the water, and you will find bait/structures on your own. You might even get a greater understanding of your environment this way.

4. Boat ramps. Unless you are a registered boat owner, you are not paying boat ramp fees. Keep clear of them. Have a big yak that needs to launch from a boat ramp, well be swift and respectful about it. Don't block the way. We don't have right of way in this situation.

5. If approaching someone, pull up your lines. Last thing anyone wants is to get tangled. If you are going to them, at least be courteous.

6. Don't be a forensic investigator. Guys spend countless time perfecting their rigs. Sure you may see their stuff. Great you can spark some ideas of your own. No reason to be digging through their stuff or touching their lines and rigs on the beach when you come up to say hello. You might as well be looking in their pants too.

7. Guess what, even the pros have bad days. If they are catching and you are not it can be so tempting to want to be on their spot and doing what their doing. Get over it. Go enough and you will get fish of your own. Everyone has had their days of paying dues. You will get yours too.

8. Better to introduce yourself out of the water than in the water. Say watsup on the beach and next time you might get a shaka (or more) on the water. Come post on AH or facebook or instagram. So many ways to reach out these days.

9. If you fish in the dark, please make sure you have a light with 360 degrees of visibility. It is especially dangerous for boaters. They know we share the ocean so help everyone be safe. Don't be a problem.

10. Keep your info gained from others to yourself. That info was a gift. Don't be giving away things that you did not earn/learn on your own.

So why would you want to do this? Here are some of the benefits.

a) Fishermen understand and recognize respect. They just might give a respectful guy some tips.
b) You get a bad rap and now the yakers won't help you. Guess what, you can equally piss off the boaters too. Many of them communicate. Lose respect of either party and you won't get intel from anyone.
c)Make a new fishing partner.
d) You might get offered bait or a slab.

Catching fish ain't easy or guaranteed. Good luck and aloha to you all!

Offline #polynesianpirates

Re: Don't be an aku bird! A basic guide to fishing etiquette in Hawaii.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 08:25:27 AM »
Great post! Agree 100%..

Offline Thaiger

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 01:49:25 PM »
Great post man.

Offline Jack Johnson Jr.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 12:58:02 PM »
Awesome read.
DONT GIVE UP THE SHIP!

Offline Fishindabox

You hit it on the nose! Great post!

Offline alfisha

8) Respect is the key. The key opens the door.
Earth-2/3 water me-2/3 water.

Bwaahahaha! Team #NoAkuBirds

Offline Waimeakauai

What share!

I can hook you and Kyle up, my braddah. You got my number. Text me your address..

Offline surf-bum

What about the rest of the Yak_uza? The aku birds follow me too! Hahaha.

Offline Marlin_Moore

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 06:30:35 PM »
Mahalo for the tips. Very helpful for a newb about to hit the water for the first time.

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 01:00:09 PM »
Goodluck to you man.

Offline Jervdog53

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 06:32:35 AM »
I finally got to read this. Right on!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2017, 02:15:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Roi