Author Topic: Frozen opelu  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Surfmore72

Frozen opelu
« on: May 05, 2016, 03:17:33 PM »
Aloha!   Been stalking the site for a while.   First post and first full year in the yak.  My girl and I fish kohala side of big island.   Blue TANDEM ocean kayak.  8)    Anyway... I'm having trouble getting frozen opelu to troll naturally.   Any tips?   I'm usually running live bait rig with treble in back.   I crimp most my rigs...  Fish usually lists to the side at surface.   Have hooked up a few times for sure this way but was wondering if it's something that I should fix.   Was thinking about weighting them but that seems weird.

Erik

Offline BadKarma

Re: Frozen opelu
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 02:56:44 PM »
Look up the Nitta fishing rig the R3, basically a chin weight is what you looking for.
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14
Malibu Kayaks Stealth 12

Offline Surfmore72

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 10:09:44 PM »
nice!  randomly saw one at oshimas and grabbed it.  hope to catch some fresh this weekend still though

Offline Dominic

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 09:25:37 PM »
I use a large tuna hook and 1oz weight.  If you can,get the kind that are already split.  Crimp them down on the hook.  Hook the opelu up through the chin and out the center of the head.  Also make sure the opelu is thawed and then bend it back and forth a few times.

Offline Ahnko Chee

• Ultra Member
  • Makule Akule
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 10:58:53 AM »
Fresh not always available so frozen the only option on many trips.  I found that an unnatural looking (swimming) opelu mimics an injured and easy target opelu, and honestly over the past 45 years caught some of my biggest fish on thawed out opelu dragged behind my boat whether it be kayak, dory, small outboard skiff, etc. trolled SLOW.   You can try splitting an egg sinker to the center puka with a hacksaw, prying the cut wide enough to get it around the forward hook's shank then squeezing it closed in a vice or with Channel-Locks.   These weighted rigs run truer but I have not noticed any more bites using a weighted leader rig.  Also, with a weighted rig better make sure your in deep enough water so you don't foul the bottom when resting or fighting a fish on another rod.   I troll frozen opelu on my unweighted leader rig all the time behind a Jet-Diver, and have done consistently good for years.   The Jet-Diver gets the bait down but when you rest the Jet-Diver floats the bait back up so no worries about hooking the bottom.  I buy them on eBay for pretty cheap but get the larger size 4 for opelu.  Size 3 okay for IQF anchovies. 
If da buggah look like it ready fo make' da feesh goin grind um.   ;)

If you get plenty fresh dead opelu better to salt them overnight then dry them and vacuum seal them (in pairs) before freezing.  The salt toughens them up, and the vacuum packing prevent freezer burns so they last much longer in the freezer.  If you can find IQF imported opelu then fine as is in freezer.   A local Korean store in Kalihi had IQF opelu from Vietnam for cheap but they changed management and now no mo opelu there.  >:(
I ike lakou, o oe, ka mea wale no nona ka inoa, o Iehova; O oe no ka Mea kiekie loa maluna o ka honua a pau. HALELU 83:18

Offline rjkronicles

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 07:40:09 PM »
If you like using dead bait, try ballyhoo with a pin rig and a maybe 1/4oz egg.  When you paddle, the baits stays upright and natural.  When you stop paddling the bait dives but still stays upright.  Good for pelagics and bottom fish, just don't paddle too fast.  Caught alot of mahis doing this in the past.  Generally paddle around 100-250 feet deep and you should get plenty of action.  Keep the baits about 100% of line versus the depth behind you.  Hope this helps.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2017, 05:33:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Big Island North Shore