Author Topic: 8/31/08  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
8/31/08
« on: September 02, 2008, 07:07:04 AM »
Had the pleasure of fishing with Juanitas brother Joseph this past Labor day weekend. We hit the water at 6:30 and trolled in glassy water all morning. I had Joseph ride the Tarpon 160 and he looked like a veteran, I had to paddle pretty hard to keep pace with him. I actually had to convince him a few times to ease up and enjoy the view. We covered a good distance nearly 10 miles but both of us came up with no strikes. I chased down a school of either small kawakawa or aku that were flipping and jumping like crazy. No luck though. In estimated 150 ft I dropped down a "trusty" Rocket Rig with an opelu and ...PRESTO CHANGEO...I pulled in a massive uku. I hollered to Joe to get near me and he then dropped down the rig...PRESTO CHANGEO... and zzzzzzzzzzzzz Joe was now in a battle. The fish darted down and shook its head while Joe got comfortable with the left handed reeling. Soon Joe had his bearings and was reeling and lifting up his catch smoothly. I reminded him that what was going on a the moment was what kayak fishing was all about, I reminded him to enjoy the strain of the battle, he did. In a few more moments he had an uku of his own floating on the surface and broke into that "first fish" grin.

The North winds began to pick up as the island started to heat up so I packed both our fish in and headed back towards shore, with Joe ahead of me I let out one last opelu to troll and PRESTO CHANGEO zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Top water runner, no jump, power=...ono!! I fought him all the way near my boat, saw his tail and back then pop  :'( :'(. Hooks came out and the ono lived to see another day!!

Back at the house we weighed in the fish Joseph's first ever kayak catch was a 8.5 lb uku and my uku came in at 23 lbs, tying the AH record. I was stoked Joe got on a fish on his first adventure and that the paddle was nice and long but not grueling. Too bad MR. Ono got away, next tour maybe! Aloha, Roc
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 07:10:37 AM by Rocket »

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
Re: 8/31/08
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 07:48:05 AM »
Nice fish, Joseph and Roc! Bummer about the ono. Get 'em next time...just think...it's getting bigger and bigger every day! ;)

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline evan b

• Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:02:04 AM »
Nice! I'd love to catch an uku one day....soon enough I will!

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
  • addicted to kayak fishing
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:16:53 AM »
right on roc nice uku. good job getting your bro hooked. you sure now how to find the fat uku. nice spot right there I know that one. aloha

Wind is the fuel for my Hobie. Aloha Boogie-D www.coastalkayaktours.com

Offline louis devaux

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 02:53:34 PM »
nice uku
how big was the ono???
louis

Offline jakey_boy

• SAY CHEESE!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 06:49:53 PM »
Nice catch. Hopefully I get lucky like Joseph on my first time out.

Offline Tiger Tai

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 07:02:21 PM »
fatty uku fatty

Offline ocpdlr

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »
As the years have gone by, whenever I'm back home for various outrigger races or surf contests, braddah Ike has always patiently taken the time an taken me out to fish. To me, this makes the trip complete and everything else is icing on the cake.
This past trip, even tho' it was Ike's last tournament day, he still took the time to drag out a couple of yaks, grab me some bait, talk story about life and family, and still managed to hook a few fish.  One could not find a better ambassador/representative for this sport.  Best wishes for continued success and growth, and I can't wait to see more action on the tube.  PS, will be home for the holidays.  CU then ma braddah!

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
    • Writs of a Drifting Son
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 08:44:42 AM »
I love it when these old posts show up- it's great to look back into the early history of the biggest Aquahunter names and be able to feel the stoke from when they were exploring, learning, and sharing.  Especially when the forums are this slow! ha ha  Thanks for the thread bump, ocpdlr.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2017, 12:43:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

mahi mahi and ono