Author Topic: Damashi fishing  (Read 5497 times)

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
Re: Damashi fishing
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2009, 10:54:04 AM »
Most damashi have too many hooks for kayak fishing, unless you have a super long rod or a sabiki rod. Cut your damashi in half. You'll get two rigs for the price of one. Everyone who fishes with damashi gets hooked once in awhile, but less chance with 4 than with 8 hooks. IOHO (In Our Humble Opinion) ;) ;)

*?? Who has a damashi with 8 hooks?
Some of the damashi that come from the stores have 8 hooks. No worry...we no mo secret damashi w/8 hooks. ;) ;)

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Ahnkochee

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2009, 12:03:54 PM »
Some of the damashi that come from the stores have 8 hooks. No worry...we no mo secret damashi w/8 hooks. ;) ;)

Eh, you gave away da secret 8 hook damashi trick!  >:( ;D :)

Offline jakey_boy

• SAY CHEESE!!!
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2009, 11:36:05 PM »
Hey guys, what size hook do you use for the damashi? A pic of the hook with a penny as reference object would be much appreciated (it's hard to say I use #6 hook because every hook manufacturer seems to have different sizing of their hooked...sometimes you wonder why there's even a numbering system  ::) )
I usually use 10s or 12s. They work real good.

Offline Ken

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2009, 07:36:12 PM »
Hey guys, what size hook do you use for the damashi? A pic of the hook with a penny as reference object would be much appreciated (it's hard to say I use #6 hook because every hook manufacturer seems to have different sizing of their hooked...sometimes you wonder why there's even a numbering system  ::) )

Wait, there's a system to those numbers? :o :o  I don't know what type of hooks the Hayabusa brand damashi would be considered, but I use a size 3 for sardines and a size 6 for halalu and akule.  http://www.tokunagastore.com/Menu/WhatFishWhatHook.htm lists what hook/line size they recommend to catch certain species.  If you're going to do homemade sabiki rigs, it might be worth a look.

Well, the system is simple. When hooks are sized listed as single number (say...size 6), the larger that number, the smaller the hook (ie...size 12 is smaller than size 8). When the hooks are sized listed as two number with a dash in between (say...size 4/0), the larger the number in the front, the larger the hook (ie...2/0 is smaller than 16/0)...and it is always followed by "/0" and is pronounce odd (4/0 = four odd). Hook sizes increase from #30 (yes, they do exist! and possibly smaller...) to #1, and from there you go from 1/0 to 16/0 or even bigger. The size of the hook is often based on the size of the hook gap.

Although there is a "system", companies that make hooks are not consistent in labeling their hook size. A hook with the same gap size could be one number larger or smaller...sometimes even two numbers larger or smaller.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:41:11 PM by Ken »
aka Muskie-Bait

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 301 species

Offline The One That Got Away

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2009, 08:41:19 PM »
Hey great posts really learning about bottom fishing ;D.  I never tried using the tea thing to palu sweet post!!

Offline alojas

• Jus another day of aku bustin surface....
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2009, 09:29:40 AM »
My damashi seem to have an affinity for finding the bottom..even in sand areas for nabeta...can still find that on hidden rock...hehe   but cutting damashi in half works well for me.  makes 2 rigs to fish with as i usually end up losing on to oahu...
It is what it is...or so i'm told!

Offline stone hands

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2009, 09:59:12 AM »
alojas, used to have that same prob before too... then changed to rubber band to attach weight, made sure i wasn't drifiting too much (keep the line as vertical as possible), and did a few cranks after feeling the bottom before jigging. just my $0.02, hope it helps.

Offline scupperpro

• If you fish, they will come. . .
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2009, 11:30:14 PM »
thank you for all the damashi info. question:  how do you keep the damashi line as straight as possible when to boat is drifting in the wind?  do you have to anchor the boat when you use the damashi? 
If you fish, they will come. . .
Penn Reels are No Ka Oi!

Ahnkochee

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2009, 05:07:35 AM »
I have found that fish bite much better during a moving tide.  Hard for keep the line vertical in a moving tide if the boat anchored without using plenty weight in your lead.  I prefer drifting with the current of a moving tide, more easy to keep line vertical without a ton of lead.  I prefer using a small diameter super braid spectra line (Power Pro, etc.) because less resistance or drag in water, and better feel of the bite due to almost zero stretch.

Offline BambooPole

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2009, 02:55:35 PM »
Damashi rock!  (When you don't have it sticking to everything in the boat.) 

I used the Mustad size 6 with ika on it doing an extremely slow paddle.  Thought I snagged coral but ended up being a 6 inch+ Humuhumu.  First time seeing one that large in person.  Good looking chubby fish.  Tried to get my pliers to release it when I brought it up close to the boat but the line cut.  Drifted a bit and dropped the same line, started a slow paddle then hooked up with something big.  Lost the fish because the damashi cut.  I swear it wasn't Oahu.  The fish went on runs. 

Less hooks the better when dealing with them on the boat.  I was surprised at the strength of the Mustad before it cut.  They're also pretty cheap.  Dunno if I had a chance against the fish with the damashi.  Muscling it probably didn't help.  Not loosening up the drag when the fish dove probably didn't help either but I'm surprised it allowed me to use as much resistance as I did. 
"It makes me mad when I go to all the trouble of having Martha cook up about a hundred drumsticks, then the guy at the Marineland says, "You can't throw chicken to the dolphins. They eat fish." Sure they eat fish, if that's all you give them. Man, wise up." - Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Offline Makaio

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2009, 09:47:55 PM »
Built two slightly different versions of these last week, & tried em out.  Found that both the PVC and CPVC have similar bend ratio to a medium tackle rod.  But when you get hit by some thing really big (or snagged on oahu), both tend to bend permanently or break at the point were the line enters the tube (weakest point due to the hole).  Think I might break down and buy one of the professional sabiki rods.  After shopping around looks like I can get one for about $50, kinda pricey, but may be worth it when dealin with all those hooks on a kayak.

Offline Makaio

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2009, 09:49:52 PM »
P.S.  Looks like there's only one brand that makes em, Anyone ever use one of these or have any insight on how well they work??

Offline Paz

• Ultra Member
  • Tandem Kayak Fishing: Never die alone
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »
Saw those sabiki rods a while back but was too pake to shell out he 50bucks. Jon put the PVC rig together and it served it's purpose well. We abandoned it a while back when we got the new kayak because our damashi rig now gets stored in the rod holders up front where they can't snag anything. We just make sure to cover up the hooks before launching and landing. So far no accidents yet.
Tandem Kayak Fishing:  Never die alone

alphadog808

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2009, 10:15:50 PM »
Built two slightly different versions of these last week, & tried em out.  Found that both the PVC and CPVC have similar bend ratio to a medium tackle rod.  But when you get hit by some thing really big (or snagged on oahu), both tend to bend permanently or break at the point were the line enters the tube (weakest point due to the hole).  Think I might break down and buy one of the professional sabiki rods.  After shopping around looks like I can get one for about $50, kinda pricey, but may be worth it when dealin with all those hooks on a kayak.
Makaio,  make sure that the damashis you are going to use will fit in the hole of the damashi pole.  When we were looking a while back, it almost looked like it was a tight or no fit for the hooks we used.  It seems like it's made more for smaller damashis...It would suck if you bought it and find out that your damashi can't even fit! 

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 01:02:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2014 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

So Ono!