Author Topic: How to Catch 'Aweoweo  (Read 3734 times)

Offline AlohaDan

How to Catch 'Aweoweo
« on: February 01, 2008, 12:20:05 PM »
 Pelagic hunter I am, the pelagic fishing right now stinks. So there has to be some reef fish of interest out there for the table.

Reggie Pare' swears 'aweoweo taste much better than manpachi. He says one of the best fish for pan frying.

I'm intrigued also that they have a rep for being ciguatera free. I know sometimes like reported in '81 and '03 they come in big runs. But most of the time not.

So how do you catch them?

Rig and bait?

Depth?

Reef is better than over sand. Am I correct?

Night or day, or both?

Best season?

Avoiding other species if possible?

Any other hint like phase of moon, or chumming?

Gave South Africa World Cup a run. Next up Brazil

alphadog808

Re: How to Catch 'Aweoweo
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 01:17:25 PM »
Dan!
  Finally something I can help with!  ;)

Aweoweo from shore(at least) taste pretty awesome...I like it better than menpachi and it's on par with holehole...

When I catch them, I go at night, and if you find the school, they bite grubs and I've used chopped up pieces of California shrimp.  Honestly, if you hit a hungry school, they'll pretty much hit any type of lure/bait...

I usually throw Egg bubble, swivel, 6-8 ft. leader(usually 5 or 10 hard leader) and a pretty big AH hook.  Cast and bring it in slowly...try to leave it in the strike zone for as long as you can feel the bubble...powerpro helps!  Can feel them biting, no  problem.

Wintertime, big moon, and big waves usually seems to be the right combination for me.  You'll get holehole and menpachi mixed in usually....all good eating, so win win!  Oh, and the big ones fight good!

Ahnkochee

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 03:46:10 PM »
Amen to dog's comments, for rod & reel Aweoweo strictly a night time proposition.  I spear them in caves during the day though.  Menpachi tactics work great for Aweoweo.  I much prefer Aweoweo over Menpachi more meat, less bones, and less pokes when cleaning, and no need scale, just fry um and grind scales and all!   ;)

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
  • addicted to kayak fishing
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 04:35:46 PM »
I got one on the yak once early in the morning departing in the winter on a full moon. I was out earlier than normal due to brightness of moon. it took a trolled frozen oama in very shallow water with some waves. it tasted great aloha.

Wind is the fuel for my Hobie. Aloha Boogie-D www.coastalkayaktours.com

Offline AlohaDan

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 04:11:39 PM »
alpha

Mahalo for tips. At night with lights. What depth are you over? Presume your over some sort of reef structure?

Ahnkochee what depth were you spearing those fish? I know some guys here do get them during the day, but generally only a few at a time.

I'm think I may need a view box, or at least some googles to stick my head over the side. Could probably see reef structure down to 45-50 feet anyway.

Gave South Africa World Cup a run. Next up Brazil

Offline Mr. SNUFFALUPAGUS

• Sailing off to find humility. I can't find any :)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 04:44:56 PM »
 :P doncha hate it when fishing is so slow that you have to target something that you would ordinarily consider "bait" ?  ;D ;D ;D   today while shoreline whipping I saw a Omilu that had to be better than 24" long tear into a nearby school of aholehole,  he was so focused on the bait ball he totaly ignorred the crystal minnow i was buzzing by him. just as well - it prolly would have spooled my little diawa 3000 and light action nitro 9' (loaded with 10 pound test)

Ahnkochee

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 08:04:22 PM »
today while shoreline whipping I saw a Omilu that had to be better than 24" long tear into a nearby school of aholehole,  he was so focused on the bait ball he totaly ignorred the crystal minnow i was buzzing by him.

Hey Jesse, when the Papio are hitting Aholehole I have had success using silver w black back Rat-L' Traps, or Rattlin' Raps.

RATTLIN' RAPALA

RAT-L TRAP

Ahnkochee

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 08:15:35 PM »
Mahalo for tips. At night with lights. What depth are you over? Presume your over some sort of reef structure?

Ahnkochee what depth were you spearing those fish? I know some guys here do get them during the day, but generally only a few at a time.

Aloha Dan,
  Diving I've speared them as shallow as waist deep down to over 40', and fished them at night from 20' to over 100', they are always an incidental catch when fishing for Menpachi as Menpachi are easier to target as they travel in large schools whereas Aweoweo are more loners.   Just scout a reef area during the day that has allot of holes caves where you'd suspect or even seem them during the day and go back at dusk.  I use glowing grubs or nehu strips rigged damashi style several inline.   I found light not necessary (they get BIG eyes for see at night) like you would for Opelu or Akule, and had more success on new moon nights.  My theory is dark nights they are more bold as their predators are less likely to spot them in the dark. 

alphadog808

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 08:37:27 PM »
Dan,
   They definitely like rocky structures...During the day they'll be in caves or under rock tables/ledges...they really won't be coming out during the day...but at night, they come out to feed...I *bet* if you are in a good area and you drop down a light, they'll come out *big time*....however, everytime I've found/caught aweoweo, it's been in really rough water; the rougher the better...I cringe to imagine anyone out there in a yak in those waves and in the dark!

And from my experience, when the moon is big they feed more aggressively, when there is no moon, I'm sure they still feed, but often the same place that I picked up choke will have *none* when the moon isn't active...go figure...

Ahnkochee

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 09:19:29 PM »
I remember one time in particular we were bottom fishing in about 100 feet of water off the Kaunolu Lighthouse, Lana'i.   It was a full moon night but moon rise was not until 1:00 am.  It was pitch dark and from 8:00pm they were biting like crazy for over 4 hour until that full moon rose  to show it's ugly face and the bite TOTALLY stopped.  This has been the case for me for over 40 years i've been fishing these waters, standard rule has been to avoid any night time ocean activity when the moon is overhead especially a full moon whether it be diving or fishing.

alphadog808

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 09:35:55 PM »
To clarify, my experience is coming from land fishing for Aweoweo, looks like boat fishing for the red fish is a bit different... :P 

Ahnkochee

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 09:44:42 PM »
Location may vary habits of fish too, I know Ulua fishermen from one spot swearing only fish new moon, and another area they prefer full moon, go figure.   

As the saying goes- the only guarantees in life are death and taxes.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 09:46:13 PM by Ahnkochee »

Offline wg

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 07:15:17 PM »
Some people will use and egg weight/swivel and the glow grub.  You can use the 2 inch green chem light a few feet above the swivel as an attractor/depth indicator.  I think this might be especially helpful if your fishing from the yak at night as the drift might affect the depth of the retrieve.  I prefer to use the chem light for menpachi aweoaweo...seems to keep me from getting stuck on the reef.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 03:47:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2014 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

omilu